Weekend at the Theater...

I went to see the Vagina Monologues on saturday at the university's theater, it was amazing!

I've been hearing about it for quite a long time, mostly on Mexican television, but since I can't go to Mexico to watch it :-P I had to get the audio book, because it was the closer I could get... I wanted so badly to know what was all the fuzz. And well, I loved it! I really like all the different points of view and the way they are told.

In case you don't know about the Vagina Monologues, it was written by Eve Ensler, an American playwright who wrote it "as a response to the guilt and embarrassment that some women still connect with their bodies and/or their sexuality".
It was first performed in 1996, and has been performed in over 100 countries and translated in 45 languages. (Quite amazing, is you ask me....)

A couple of weeks after I heard the audio book, ironically enough I got to see HBO special in Cinemax, and it was everything I had expected... So when I found out about Juana Estrella's (an Ecuadorian actress) performance in the Bamboo Theather Festival(
Link in Spanish), I just couldn't stop myself... I had to be there...

Her monologues were obviously a bit different, targeted for our culture, our country... Like in the first monologue (The flood) making jokes about not being "down there" since the President Carias government (he ruled from 1933 to 1949!) or in "The Vagina Workshop" saying that when she touched herself (the character) she liked to fantasized of... of.... of Mel (Manuel Zelaya Rosales, our current president........
LOL)


It was amazing! I loved every monologue, but as it happened in the audio book, and the tv show, the one that really REALLY touched me was My Vagina was a Village... It's heartbreaking! I remember listening the audio book and just laughing soooooo much... and then reaching to this very sad monologue, and I just couldn't stop listening, it totally caught and at some point the sadness just filled me and I ended up crying (embarrassing, I know! :-p). It's so hard to imagine such terrible ways of torture...

Juana Estrella's performance was incredible! It lived up to my expectations...


0 comments:

Post a Comment