Cinco de Mayo?


Mmmmmmm, this is probably the one holiday that really intrigues me... We (Hondurans) have nothing to do with it... but ever since I started watching American television, I´ve wondered what´s with the gringos?
As far as I´ve always understood, Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday... So, what does Americans have to do with it?

For starters, I had no idea what they were celebrating, it all seemed to me like Salsa´s(Sauce, not the rhythm) International Day, Tacos Holiday (when tacos were serve on a all-you-can-eat style) or something of that sort :-P

I know, I know! Silly me... But learning english and trying to comprehend why they pretended to be mexicans for one day was too much for me back then....

According to Wikipedia: "The date is perhaps best recognized in the United States as a date to celebrate the culture and experiences of Americans with Mexican Ancestry".

Ironically enough, In Mexico this holiday is only celebrated in Puebla, as is not an obligated federal holiday. And what it really celebrates is the Battle of Puebla (1862) where the Mexican army defeated French Forces that wanted to invade Mexico.

Ok, you gotta give them some credit... it´s nice that they acknowledge the importance of Mexican people in their own culture... and it´s also a good excuse to party... :-P

*I know that the word Americans sounds quite broad, but I must clarify that I´m not trying to generalize as every person is different. Also, the word gringo is not meant as an insult in any way, so please do not feel insulted by it*

3 comments:

czk230 said...
May 6, 2008 at 11:58 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sarah said...
May 11, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Hi Ale! This is Sarah from...well you know Opera. It is funny, I used this graphic as well in Opera..the same one! Yes, you are right, ALL Americans should not celebrate this. But I am actually Mexican American. :p :D So, yes, we did celebrate. :) Have a wonderful week.
-Sarah

Ale said...
May 11, 2008 at 6:02 PM

:D Hi!!! It's sooo nice to see a familiar face(?) ok... name... :-p
Thank you so much for your comment... and mmmm, happy cinco de mayo!

Post a Comment