Tegucigalpa throughout disaster

Well, We've certainly had a couple of really difficult days lately...

Yesterday (Thursday 29th), it rained all day... and in the afternoon, when I finally watched the news I found out that it was because there was a hurricane (Hurricane Alma) getting close to Honduras from the Pacific Ocean... Quite scary...

Tegucigalpa was on yellow alert for most of the night, but apparently it changed during the night, because the news papers were quite scandalous... Thankfully, by the time I woke up, the hurricane had gone from a hurricane to a tropical depression...

But I'm guessing that bad things never come alone... I left for school at 9:30 am and about half an hour later, as I was parking at a café, my phone started ringing... it was my dad, to ask me what road I had used...(I tend to use the Anillo Periferico as I find it faster or at least the cars move at a faster pace... As opposed to the Boulevard of the Armed Forces, that as it might be supposedly closer to everywhere it does move far slower... ) So obviously I tell my dad that I took the Anillo and he then tells me that there has been an airplane crash on the road that I should have used to get to the boulevard of the armed forces...

I must say that I, still, am awestruck, the images are heartbreaking...

The Toncontin Airport is known as a very dangerous airport as it has a small runway and the landing is always quite bumpy. Though the last accident was almost over 11 years ago. So, it's not as bad as many people make it seem. What I consider to be the biggest problem here, is how the government keeps stalling the plans that they apparently have to improve the runway, to make it larger.

According to what the news are saying everywhere, the airplane (Flight 390) attempted to land once, but couldn't (bear in mind that, even if the hurricane was now a tropical depression we still have some rain), and tried again and landed too late and wasn't able to stop on time.





***************************************************************

This is being written two days later...

Since I didn't have Internet since the day of the accident because of it, I left the post unfinished and until today it seems to be working properly.

For what I've been told, the plane is still there... Though the technicians of Taca have removed the so-famous black box from the plane.

The death toll remains the same as of Friday (5), thanks god!

Among them, the President of the Banco Centroamericano De Integracion Economica, Harry Brautigam who died of heart failure shortly after leaving the plane; The wife of the Brazilian Ambassador Brian Michael Fraser Neele, Janneth Shantall; The pilot César D'Antonio. The other two, weren't on the plane but on a car that was passing through the area at the moment of the accident. They were students of the UNAH (Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Honduras) and UTH (Universidad Tecnologica de Honduras).

Almost 80 people were injured, though most of them have already left the hospitals.

Among the passengers were also an Argentinean Tango group "Compañía Viejo Barrio de Argentina", that was going to perform that very night at the II Festival Rotario de Música. And that, amazingly enough, did present their show, with clear bruises in their faces but obviously rejoiced after the initial shock.

Now the situation is a bit messy, with the president acting without much thought, and saying that the airport will be immediately closed to big aircrafts and that these will be sent to the Soto Cano base in Comayagua. To me, it doesn't make much sense to act like this on pure desperation, for starters the Soto Cano base (Palmerola) is not ready to receive commercial air traffic, and the situation on the Toncontin Airport is not as desperate as it appears. Hopefully they will analize the current situation and act not upon desperation as it usually happens in my country... (like it happened with the famed stickers...) but on well considered and discussed plans.


0 comments:

Post a Comment