Where I was and how to learn English....

I know I went missing... I was having a few pretty bad days last week, and decided to vanish from blogging to avoid saying horrible things in my happy blog... (I think the last post was more than enough...)

So, how are things today? Well, boring... It's a really warm day and all I want to do is sleep... but I've been sleeping way too much lately to be good for me... So, I'm staying away from my bed! Unless I'm sitting and I'm reading my book...

Now that I come to think of it, there are so many things that I should consider doing and so little that I really want to do, apart from reading, of course!

What am I reading? Anne Rice's Lasher! (At last!)
I've tried to read this book a million times!
I don't think any of my loyal readers (at least, the ones I dream I have...) know this, but I have to confess it, I'm a huge fan of Anne Rice! Mostly her Vampire Chronicles and the Life of the Mayfair Witches series...

I finished with the Vampires years ago, but I've been sort of forced to read the Witches' books because they are so entangled in the last couple of book from the Vampire Chronicles that I can't help myself... I love the stories so much! All so confusing, yet so appealing....

When you've read so much about this characters you can help but know even the most silly details but get all messed up with the details that you even make them part of your life...

Anne Rice's influence in my life has been quite clear... and I must blame her books as the reason why the English language finally caught me...
I had, for years, tried to learn English by my own means; with, almost, all my cousins (within my same age range) studying in bilingual schools I needed to learn it in order to understand them. And since the English I learned at school wasn't exactly the best you can get, I had to figure out ways to learn it... It wasn't weird to see me reading the chapters of my English books before we even reached them, or reading words out of the dictionary...

I don't think I even analyzed what I was doing, I just wanted to understand, I didn't want to left out...

And then the television was of enormous help, like almost everybody I know, the tv's Closed Caption was the perfect way to learn! Cause, I could hear it and read it... The first few seasons of Dawson's Creek were my teachers (yes, make fun of me all you want! it worked!)
And when I reached the university, I had a pretty decent English... I've never ventured into having a conversation in both English and Spanish without worrying that people would make fun of me, but as most of my friends had graduated from bilingual schools, I just did! For some time, they didn't even know I graduated from an only-Spanish school!

And here's when Anne Rice crossed my path :-p
One of my friends was a huge fan of Anne Rice... I had no idea who she was... I had heard of Interview with the Vampire, but I had never seen it... and after months and months of listening how they talked about it, I decided to get the book 1 of the Vampire Chronicles (None of my friends had it, because someone had borrow it to someone and so on...)
It was sort of my birthday present to myself that year... I decided that I was going to sit with it and a dictionary and read the thing...

In a few days, I finished the book! I barely used the dictionary! And from then on, I was sold!
I was able to get all the books to date from the Chronicles from my friends and at some point if I read a book before one of them, they would even come ask me what a word meant!
How cool is that!?

From time to time, people even asks me where I went to school, and when I tell them where, they look at me and ask "Where did you learn English so well then?"
I know it's not perfect, but it's good enough... and trust me, I practice it everyday (one of the reasons why this blog is written in English!)
Now most of the books I read are in English and most of the sites I visit are in english... From time to time, I even think in English (ridiculous, I know!).

But returning to the main subject, Lasher! I can't read it! Or couldn't... Today I finally passed the doomed pages where I always got stuck! I guess it had to do with the fact that it seemed that Anne had deserted us... After her change to religious literature (Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt and Christ the Lord: The road to Cana) and her bold statement announcing that no more books on Lestat were to be written...

It broke my heart (I'm sorry, I get that passionate about books!)

But writing this post was such a good thing.... I have a tiny gadget on the side of my blog post editor, that shows photos and articles to back up the posts... I barely use it, but I always look at it, you never know when something interesting may come out, even if not to be used here... and I saw this!

Lestat Lives, says Anne Rice and dated 4 months ago...
If by some chance you are fan of her, you understand my happiness... The last book left so many loose ends, so many stories to be told! Maybe one book isn't exactly what we were expecting, but it's better than nothing!

Ok, nevermind... Just checked her website... I guess I'll have to live wondering what would have happened... I think it's cruel to her readers but hey, she knows what she's doing... Still need to finish Lasher to read Taltos and be done with the witches... sadly, at last...

0 comments:

Post a Comment