Honduras: Democracy at stake

I'm guessing that, by now, many of you have heard/read about the situation in Honduras, not the best way to be known but I guess the only one to be finally under the radar.

Whenever I mention, online, where I come from, people asks where Honduras is located, and they get even more confused when I mention Central America. My country is tiny, poor and has been battling against a leader that wanted to remain in the power by all means.

I could attemp to list all that has happened in the last week but I don't think I could be as accurate and clear as Mary Anastacia O'Grady from the Wall Street Journal. Her article, Honduras defends its democracy, is by far the best and more honest recolection of the events that have been going on here.

Before clicking on the link just let me tell you that it wasn't a coup d'etat. It was the people defending the democracy and fighting against a man that had systematically destroyed our country.

And just to make things clear, I voted for him. I'm one of the many he fooled and I'm actually heartbroken at the way this ended. When he was elected I had great hopes for my country, I figured it would be a fresh start, but I was so wrong. Little by little he started to show his true intentions and I was left feeling guilty by having supported him in the first place.

What concerns me the most is that the international community seems blinded by Zelaya's declarations and the voices of the people seem muffled under the great load of articles supporting him. I find hard to believe that the world can't see the obvious support of Chavez to our, now former president. The threats that Chavez has issued should be enough proof of the ilegality of Zelaya's intentions.

My only hope is that the international community will finally see the truth behind the lies they are being told, and that they will begin to listen the screams of a country that wants to be free and democratic and not fall in the hands of tyrans.

8 comments:

Warrior Knitter said...
July 2, 2009 at 9:31 PM

I'm praying for you and your country. Your country may not have the support of President Obama but you have the support of millions of Conservatives here in the USA. Stay safe.

Ben said...
July 2, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Claro que apoyamos. Saludos desde San Pedro Sula!

Alexis S. Rosales García said...
July 2, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Te apoyamos desde Morelia, México y San Francisco, CA. siempre hablo de esto con mi familia (aunque nos impacte poco porque somos mexicanos)

Siempre twitéo y google lo que está pasando con nuestros hermanos en honduras.

If you ever want to spread the word on anything, feel free to use my blog (i'll be glad to post anything that can help) elojodemexico.blogspot.com

suerte,
Alexis Rosales García

Alejandra said...
July 3, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Thank you Warrior Knitter!!! Your comment made my day... It´s good to know the world is not deaf...

Gracias Ben y Alexis! La frustracion me estaba matando, pero poco a poco se ve que el mundo se da cuenta... De verdad muchas gracias!

bjinbelize said...
July 3, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Great article! I am spreading the word on my blog and by twitter. There are Americans who still want freedom even as it is taken away from us. I am one of those. I knew Obama was a silver tounged liar the first time I listened to him. I pray you win despite all the problems other countries, they have no right to interfer with peaceful democracy!

thibeaux1369 said...
July 16, 2009 at 8:34 PM

thank you for posting this! i have wondered how you were doing through this. please know i send my thoughts and prayers to you and to your country as well. feliciah

Anonymous said...
July 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Why is joining the Alternativa Bolivariana para las Americas a bad thing? And if fairly elected, why not let a president stay for longer then 2 terms? If a big reform or corruption reduction is necessary, sometimes 2 terms is not enough. Do Chaves and Zelaya, as left leaners, care more for the less fortunate than the current government in Honduras? How many people have died because of the military actions this month?

Alejandra said...
July 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

You make it sound as if there´s been a massacre in Honduras... The international media, specially Telesur has been spreading so many lies is hard to know what to believe... but there aren´t hundreds of dead people, not even tenths, but Chavez and Zelaya are feeding the global media with as much "tragedy" as possible and the media keeps following them their game...
And just because they say they "care more" for the less fortune doesn´t mean is true... The constitution is clear about reelection and, why spend valuable time and money on demanding more time in the government when he could have actually been doing the job for which he was elected for?
And I can´t help to wonder why or even how this reelection would reduce corruption, if the means used for it were already corrupt... I´m sorry, but Chavez is not the Messiah, what gives him the right to decide what a country may or may not do? And Zelaya is not the poor heartbroken man he claims he is but hopefully, in the end, those who judge us will see their mistake...
And just one tiny thing, Anonymous? Really? Come on, even here those supporting Zelaya refuse to show who they are... It makes you wonder, huh?

Post a Comment